Sunday, January 31, 2010

If you don't like Controversy, turn back now! ;)

I know the current "Health Care Debate" in our country is controversial. After all, I DO pay WAY TO MUCH for my families Health Care. However, my friend David posted this on a FB Note and I liked it. Since this is MY blog -- I'm gonna repost it here!

Blessings.....

I was reading this article in the BBC on the health care debate. Very revealing in it's condescension and complete misunderstanding of the United States' deeply rooted aversion to governmental authority. In it the author poses the question: 'Why are so many American voters enraged by attempts to change a horribly inefficient system that leaves them with premiums they often cannot afford?'

I just started laughing hysterically because the immediate answer that came to my mind was in the form of the lyrics to a Jonathan Coulton song:


I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you
But I get the feeling that you don’t like it
What’s with all the screaming?
...
Isn’t it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?


Understand- it isn't just that we resent being told by someone in Washington what is in our best interests, it is that we have deeply ingrained in our culture (and enshrined in our Constitution) a philosophical belief that government simply should not be given any more power than is necessary for the safeguarding of our liberties. That way lies serfdom. The ancients knew it. Our Founders knew it. History has proven it - and deep down in our gut the American populace knows it even if some of us cannot express it so eloquently as Madison, de Toqueville, or Friedman.

Yes, Virginia, they would be inept tyrants if you let them

No comments:

Post a Comment