Saturday, February 13, 2016

{10 Lessons I've Learned in Marriage} - On Being Committed to Personal Healing

From time to time, I survey my social media friends on what blog topics the would like to see me write about.  I'm always hoping they will suggest something funny.  For instance...


Your Worst DIY Disasters

This past Halloween, all Eli wanted was a simple PacMan Costume. Billy's mother graciously did ALL the sewing and left me with absolutely NOTHING to do except the gluing.  THE GLUING, YA'LL.  And, well, after literally ruining the iron and ironing board with the super incredible AMAZINGLY ADHESIVE spray glue (that apparently isn't suppose to be used inside)...I glued my shoes to the wood floors of my dining room and was in a heap of tears. 









 

Infomercial Weaknesses

We all have them.  And, when we were much younger, before the internet and all, I watched the Ronco Food Dehydrator Infomercial one too many times.  I envisionsed myself making homemade fruit roll-ups, Beef Jerky, Turkey Jerky...and well...the box arrived.  I crazy excitedly announced to Billy, "We only have (3) more payments to make of $69.95 for this baby AND I'm going to be able to save us CRAZY amounts of cash by making everyone homemade banana chips for Christmas!" The look on B's face said it all.  I'd gone slap crazy.  Instantly I thought, "What in God's green Earth have I done?  Banana Chips?"  Never used the things.  Not even once.







Kid Quotes

Eli, "Mom, do you remember when your butt was soooooo big, we couldn't both fit in this chair together?"  My kids are so hilarious, right?


And well, no one EVER suggests these types of topics. 

What they seemingly want to read about is, "Grocery Shopping 101 {and other REALLY boring things", "Raising Up Kids Who are on Mission", and "How to Deal with Dissappointment".


They want my serious side.


So, Here it comes...my first ever, SERIOUS, blog series
(Que dramatic music)
(Takes a bow)

Billy and I have been studying and sharing more on marriage lately.






We've been talking with other couples and mentors, going to marriage ministry training, and listening to podcasts.  This week, we'll even head off to "A Weekend to Remember" to focus on our own stuff while in the midst of pushing forward with what we feel compelled to say.

Since what we have to say is a mouthful, I thought I'd break it up into 10 posts.  You're welcome.  :)

So, here ya go, 10 Lessons I've learned in Marriage.



Lesson #1: 
BE COMMITTED TO YOUR OWN PERSONAL HEALING

Billy and I both came in to marriage with baggage.  Lots of baggage frankly.  We had limited pre marital counsel, which I only did as a formality...how bad could marriage possibly be when you were as awesome as we were?

And, well truthfully, it COULD have been REALLY, REALLY BAD. 

But, in those early years (years 1 - 3) we were VERY committed to personal healing from our past, and very dedicated individually to spending time with the Holy Spirit.  And, we still are.

The best gift you can give your spouse is the gift of a healthy you.  Good health starts deep in your core.

I love what the Bible says in Ezekiel 36:26-28.  "I'll give you a new heart, put a new spirit in you.  I'll remove the stone heart from your body and replace it with a heart that's God-willed, not self-willed.  I'll put my Spirit in you and make it possible for you to do what I tell you and live by my commands."

To experience deeper degrees of healing, and forgiveness, and freedom is still one of my most frequent uttered prayers for my family.



 


Blessings,





No comments:

Post a Comment